Thursday, November 26, 2009

...We got jobs (continued)

Following on from Wes' post, I'll just give a quick update on my job status...
So I was also offered the Lizard Creek Lodge job at the front desk along with Wes and I was absolutely thrilled. I accepted that job in the morning. However, that afternoon I got a call from the Fernie Alpine Resort (which I had been pestering since October and is the company that runs the ski mountain) and they offered me the role of Guest Services Representative. Again, I was thrilled. So after a large amount og deliberation with Wes, I turned down Lizard Creek, and accepted the Guest Services Role at the Mountain.

The best thing about this job is I get a free season lift pass!!!! And also a fantastic chance to meet more people on the mountain. The pay is only $8.50 (!!), but the lift pass is a huge bonus, so I'm happy.
I started on Wednesday, and it turns out they were really desperate for me to start ASAP because the mountain is opening this weekend, a week before schedule. I did a 8.5 hour shift on my first day, which involved selling season passes, providing the staff with their passes, and generally answering people's queries (which is rather challenging considering I've been in Fernie only a week - learning on the job again!).

I did a mammoth shift today as everyone came in to get their ski passes before the opening on Saturday. I'm working all weekend, and then hopefully once the mountain opens up properly on 5 December I will drop back to part-time so that I can ski ski ski. Tomorrow's challenge is to buy those heated boots so that the skiing will be completely enjoyable.

The snow has unfortunately turned to rain down here in town, and also up on the mountain, so its not quite as chilly as last week. Despite being a bit warmer, we have hit up Canadian Tyre a few times to try on the industrial clothes that they make here for serious cold weather. I can see myself investing in more sturdy clothing generally, so its fun to try everything on (as you can tell from the photos).

Later,
Claire




No comments:

Post a Comment